Sunday, July 31, 2011

So there was a girl and she turned Sweet 16

So the party was over a month ago and with my life being as it is I'm just sharing it with you now. Enjoy!
 The cake and the candles. My husband constructed the candle holder. My daughter cut out letter from foam board, spray painted them black and added silver glitter. I picked up some feather boas at the dollar store and put them behind the letters. We bought tall candles at Micheals. I think this project cost us less them $30. The biggest expense was the candles.  
This would be called the "nightmare cake". Seriously.  The cake was supposed to be 3 tiers but the bottom tier was crushed by the weight of the top two tiers. I did put dowels in the bottom and middle section of the cake but it didn't work out. The bottom of the cake became a trifle instead. Problem solved, nope. The zebra stripes were first made out of fondant, it fell of the cake, we then proceeded to paint the stripes, again another problem averted. And the last problem, the cake was crooked. The top of the cake was iced not once but twice since because I tried to make the cake less crooked. Will say though, the cake was all gone by the end of the night. Gotta love teenagers! 

 The candy table. Instead of favors we decided to do a candy table. Everyone, even the adults loved the candy table. I must thank my mother for this whole set up. She really did most of the work and decorating for the party.
 This is the birthday girl, Samantha, my beautiful daughter. We set up an area for photos. Beaded necklaces, feather boas and Popsicle sticks with mustaches and big red lips for fun photo opportunities. Hardly anyone stood in front of it. I think it was in the wrong spot. 
 The grandmothers! My mother's the blonde in the zebra stripes and my mother in law is in purple. Big thank you to my mother in law for all the cooking she did. Some of my friends finally got to try a rice ball and some really great baked ziti. 
 The candle ceremony was great. For those who do not know what a candle ceremony is, my daughter dedicated her candles to those that mean a lot to her. She  gave a small speech about each person. The person came up and lit the candle with her. My husband and I were her first candle. We love her so much and we were so happy to be able to do this party for her. 
After what seemed like the longest candle ceremony ever, my daughter finally blew out her candles. A great time was had by all and I was exhausted by the end of the night. 

Next party..my daughter and I will be having a big graduation party. We graduate at the same time in a couple of years, she's in high school, I'm in college. 

Thanks for stopping by! 
Jessica

3 comments:

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

What a cute party!! Love that cake!

Staci J said...

I LOVE the party decor!! Great job! And thanks for stopping by our lil ol blog today!!

Karen said...

Sounds like a great party! Love the decor and the cake was great! You did a fabulous job:) Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments!